Friday, April 12, 2013

Makeovers

Matthew and I didn't realize when we first got married just how much both of us enjoy taking on projects and working on them together.  I guess it took us a while to realize it since we rented an apartment for our first few years of marriage...not much renovation happening there (although, arguably, it could have used it).  We enjoy projects because it's teaching us how to work with tools and such, and then you get to save money because you can do things yourself.  I also suffer from seeing things in my head that I can never seem to find in a store.  Thus... DIY.

I have learned (the hard way... always the hard way folks...) that it's best to not get TOO many projects going at once - i.e. twelve.  That's just too many.  And honestly at the end of our days we can't take our precious projects to eternity with us.  So bear that in mind as you prioritize your own projects.  Is there a friend who doesn't know how to use tools you can bring along and teach or build together?  Also check your motives for a project at the front door.  (get it? you know that was good)  Is this a pride thing?... like am I just trying to show of some mad skillz I think I have?  Or could this benefit others as well as myself?  How does something as seemingly insignificant as working on a project point me to the Creator?

Beautifying and creating is a beautiful thing because we have a beautiful Creator God who could have made this world drab but chose to make it absolutely breathtaking to point to Himself and how even-more-glorious He is.  So as you DIY and make things look better, keep that in perspective!  You might even call it the drab-to-fab transformation... for your project and your heart!  

2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

And here's a little Grace Gem for ya on the beauty of our Lord.  He needs no makeover.  Enjoy!  
The Beauty of the Lord - J.R. Miller

Our first home... a little 1987 ish, eh?

After some new shutters and new paint color on door.  Helping this lil' home into the 21st century.  Now *just needs some big potted plants, flower beds, tearing out that banister and attaching corbels to the top and bottom of columns to make them appear larger.  *just: a word I like to use to fool myself

We made the shutters using pressure-treated 1x6's from Lowe's.  Door color: June Morn by Valspar.  Shutter color: Fired Earth by Valspar.

Matthew working with my stepfather's hammer drill and feeling quite manly.  Sidenote: later that evening he killed a fly with his bare hands AND sufficiently fixed our clogged sink on his own.  He kept telling me it was a MAN kinda day...

In the spirit of spring makeovers, I gave myself one.  Feeling much lighter with 9" of hair gone!

who you lookin at

1 comment: