Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cookie Flop

This is just one of the many baking flops I've had while living here in the great high altitude state of Colorado.  Even when I do try baking high altitude recipes and they look normal (not like these that completely sunk), the quality just isn't quite the same.

In 2010, Forbes Magazine voted Colorado the #1 state for having the least amount people with obesity and diabetes.  Do you know why, Forbes Magazine?  Yes, the mountains are compelling and people just can't seems to stop hiking them.  That is one answer.  But the REAL answer is that they can't bake anything!  Oh, how I long for the decadent cakes of The Grit in Athens, GA...the food that suddenly became its own food group and inspired me to start working out just so I could eat more... and the oh-so-fluffy and moist cupcakes at Muddy's Bake Shop in Memphis, TN.

I guess the gorgeous mountain views, the seemingly required dress code of cowboy boots, the crisp air, no humidity and friendly people here will have to make up for all the times I thought I was baking something delicious and ended up with flattened cookies and dried cake.

Cookies are about as deflated as my heart...

In oven at same time as batch above, yet even flatter.  Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same thing happen to my molasses cookies yesterday, but I don't have an altitude excuse! I'm not sure what happened, but they baked into one giant flat cookie on the pan, and today they're crispy, and not chewy like they should be. I hope this doesn't happen with all of my Christmas baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's strange! I bet Pat still ate them, though. Mmmm I wonder if I can find a high alt. recipe for the molasses cookies. Matthew wouldn't let me throw these away. In fact, he took them to a potluck at work. Needless to say, I was a little embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete