Sunday, November 20, 2011

How Sweet It Is to be Loved by Friends

We have been so blessed by friends the Lord has placed into our lives.  Each friendship encourages us, molds us, teaches us, and just plain makes our lives sweeter.  

Mark
This past week, Mark Craddock came all the way from Warner Robins, GA, to stay with us!  Mark and Matthew met in the eighth grade at Westfield in Perry, GA.  They were chosen by their math teacher to be partners for a project.  The project involved baking cookies, just as a funny side note.  (Picturing two middle school boys baking together as their first bonding experience).  Thus, their friendship was sparked.  Mark (and another friend, Jackie) is also credited with being the reason why my husband has such a fascination with cars.  Their friendship makes me laugh, smile, and at times cover my ears when there is too much British car talk going on in reference to their favorite show, Top Gear.  I am so happy that the Lord placed Mark into both of our lives.  He's been such a faithful friend, visiting us in Athens, Memphis, and now in Colorado.

The boys enjoyed driving up Pike's Peak in the Forester.  That is, before the Forester died on our way back from exploring near Leadville, CO.  They also enjoyed going to the local car dealerships, seeing the Air Force Academy, and touring the Broadmoor.  Mark was kind to still put a smile on even when we were getting towed in freezing conditions at night miles outside of town.  Thanks for coming to visit, Mark!
The boys eating tex-mex at Jose Muldoon's, downtown Colorado Springs
Beka
As fate would have it, one of my very best friends from Memphis, TN, calls me up saying she is going to be in Denver for job training.  I really couldn't believe it.  Of all the places to have a job training, she was going to be just 1.5 hours away.

Beka Conner and I met through our boys.  Her husband, Clint Conner, was Matthew's dental school bud.  Beka was actually the first person I met when we moved to Memphis, and friendship was automatic.  We all lived on Mud Island together, visited churches together, and eventually all joined the same church.  Clint and Beka introduced us to Grace church, the place that God used to show us more of our sin and really fan our heart's flame for God's Word.  There are so many reasons to love Beka Conner - her heart for the Lord and for helping others in need, the love she shows towards her husband and son, how she is always there to listen and give advice when you need it, her amazing thriftiness and resourcefulness (I thought I was cheap!), the way she pronounces her I's (true Arkansas girl), how she'd rather get a power tool than a diamond necklace for Christmas, and the fact that she is practically Real Simple magazine in the form of a person (you should check out the living room carpet she made from samples and duct tape).  I praise the Lord for this friendship and how I got a sister in Christ with whom I could share those first few years of marriage, working, and being a "dental school widow."  The Lord was so kind to bring us back together, if even for a few hours.

Beka and me after eating at Rock Bottom in Denver, CO

1 comment:

  1. Your post brought tears to my eyes...you have no idea how wonderful it was to see you and catch up! You are such a precious friend to me and I am truly thankful God has blessed me with your friendship! Thanks again for coming to see me...it made my week!! Love and miss you like crazy!! Beka

    ReplyDelete