Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bringing Home Baby


"Somebody get that girl a hairbrush!"

That's what was going through the mind of one of my nurses just after our son was born.  And can you blame her?

I was on such a post-delivery high, staring at this new baby of mine and reveling in the fact that the 9 mos of pregnancy and 18 hours of pain was over.  The nurse, however, found a comb in my purse and started grooming me.  Though I was grateful for the beauty assistance, it was the last thing on my mind. Forgive me for not considering my appearance when the feeling of a very heavy mallet is continuously pounding me from the inside out!

Our son, William Reid Hillis, was born on Monday, April 30, 2012, at 6:46 pm.  He was exactly one week late (or two days early if my estimated due date of May 2 was correct :)).  He weighed 9 lbs 10 oz (not a typo), and was 22 1/4" long.  I've never heard a more beautiful sound than his cry when they placed him on my chest.  I'm so thankful someone snapped this photo.  We are not even sure who did!  Though I am looking quite rough, it encompasses the sheer joy of that moment... the feeling of touching and hearing and holding your baby for the first time - the one you've been praying for, the one whose 'hiccups' and kicks you felt for months, and the one you started loving with your whole heart the moment the pregnancy test was positive.  Matthew later told me my first words were to him were "Baby, baby, I love you."

God is so gracious.  He brought William the night before I was to go in to get a balloon catheter to get things rolling (balloon wha??!).  He brought my mom into town the day before his arrival.  And He brought into our lives a precious little boy who we pray daily will love the Savior Who gave him life!

Birth Story
Contractions started around 11:00pm on Sunday night.  I couldn't sleep very well and woke up with them at least three times before finally considering the thought that this could be it.  I had been having mild contractions throughout the week that never led to anything, so I was skeptical.  However, these contractions brought some 'umph' with them!

Mom and Matthew were sleeping, so I went downstairs to time contractions while sitting on my birthing ball and eating a snack.  5 minutes... 4 minutes... 3 minutes... 4 minutes again... with pain increasing.  At first I was excited, but my excitement quickly turned to seriousness.  I remembered our Lamaze instructor saying it would be the real deal when we couldn't talk or walk with the contraction.  This had begun.  And it had gone on now for at least two hours. I was no longer interested in timing them or writing down anything on paper or eating my cereal or sitting on that dang birthing ball.  I needed to get to the hospital pronto.

Earlier in pregnancy I had imagined the glorious moment when I would tell my husband, "Honey, it's time!"  He would gaze at me with soft tears in his eyes and whisk me away to the hospital.

This did not happen.  It went more like this:

12:00 am
Me: "Matthew, I think I'm in labor.  My contractions really hurt and they are really close together."
Matthew: "You're probably ok... go back to bed."

1:00 am
Me: "Matthew, I really think this is it.  I've been timing them and they are still consistent."
Matthew: ::::snore::::

2:00 am
Me: (in the middle of a contraction) "I'M IN LABOR!!  GET UP!"
Matthew: (stumbles out of bed in a panic)

After he realized the pain was definitely for real, we got my mom up and all went to the hospital.  Once I was checked, I was disappointed to be in so much pain and only 2 cm dilated.  I was told to walk around for an hour to see if I could dilate more.  My mother graciously walked the floors of that hospital with me, allowing me to rest on her through each painful spell.  After an hour, though, there was still no change.  The hospital staff gave me the option of staying and laboring there or going back home.  All I wanted to do was go home and sit in the tub, so that's what we did.

After a miserable car ride back home, I went straight for sitting in a vat of very hot water.  It helped to take the edge off.  Matthew and mom got some rest while I got my tub bath and then a hot shower.  I decided I'd better go ahead and get ready for the day, just to give me something to do, and Lord only knows when my next shower will be!  I remember asking the nurses when would I know it's time to come back.  They looked at me dead on and said, "You'll know."  Four hours had passed at home, and I believe it was then that I knew.  With each contraction, I turned into a different person.  I remember yelling at my poor sweet husband and mother.  They were intensely powerful now and with under a minute of rest in between each one.  It was time to go!

Once back at the hospital, I was at 6.5 cm dilated.  Thankfully they then gave me a robe and a room.  Almost 13 hours had passed through the night, and I couldn't take it any longer.  I remember looking at my huge belly wondering if I'd have the energy to push this big boy out if I didn't get some relief.  I was so exhausted that I would fall asleep as doctors would be asking me questions, only to wake up with a contraction and unable to talk to anyone.  Modesty had gone completely out the window as I had just met my male nurse and immediately went on all fours, bum exposed, because it was the only way to make the pain subside.  At noon and at 6.5 cm, I got the epidural and rested!  But not for long.

After a few hours passed, I felt the intense contractions again.  Is this normal with an epidural?  I had no idea.  My nurse said sometimes you can develop "hot spots" where the medicine doesn't reach, so the anesthesiologist was called in to give me more.  He injected the maximum amount... no relief.  In the midst of all the confusion, I felt an overwhelming urge to push.  They called in my midwife who checked me...9.5 cm!  With one push and a sweep, I was at 10, and it was go time. (Apparently the epidural had become "dislodged," as they said, in my back.  The catheter insert was still in tact, but the line of medicine was going to a different location than what would have been effective.)

After one hour of pushing, William was born at 6:46 pm.  It was an unbelievable experience pushing him into this world...pain and all.  The pain of pushing was different than it was during the contractions.  I felt that I could fight back and do something with the pain rather than simply breathe through it.  And with the finish line in full view, it was that much more motivating.  With Matthew on one side, my nurse on the other and my midwife down in front, I felt enormous encouragement and motivation.  I would say I couldn't go on, and they would be so positive saying, "Yes you can!"  "Push harder!"  Matthew was an excellent help as I pushed three times with each contraction, each push lasting for 10 seconds.  Matthew would look at me and count out loud to ten.  I knew he was right there with me, and he helped me to keep focusing on getting to that glorious number 10 when I could rest.  Once I could see my baby's head, the desire to meet him (and get him out!) completely took over.  I asked my midwife if I could just continue pushing, regardless of whether or not I was having a contraction.  With five or six consecutive pushes, he was here.  I heard the amazing sound of his cry and felt this warm body being laid on my chest.  The pain was gone instantaneously.  At that moment, I realized the truth of this verse:

When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. ~John 16:21


Complete joy.

Meeting my son!

Baby Will with his YaYa

First family photo

So blessed by visitors who came to see us and brought William presents

Leaving hospital on Wednesday, May 2

Handsome boy... look at those cheeks!

Our family of three

So thankful my mom was here.  She surprised us by having this 'photo shoot' display set up on the porch when we got home.

Matthew took this studio-quality shot!  Three generations photo.

Eating a delicious lasagna dinner given to us by Emily and Brandon White while listening to Miles Davis and feeling the breeze through the open windows.  I got a glass of wine, too, after 9 mos!

Cuddle time

Baking cookies with mommy

"Wake time" next to the window

First time he kept his eyes open for any length of time

Daddy gets home from work

Love those lips

Having fun with photography





10 comments:

  1. Oh Mallory! ! LOVE this story of how sweet Will came into the world!! Gave me chills, made me laugh, made me cry!! Personally, I don't think you could have looked anymore beautiful than when you first held your son!! Looks like y'all are doing so great!! Much love!! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I was there and will always cherish those priceless moments, it was so much fun to read the blog account, esp. knowing how very accurate it is. :-D Like Joy, I laughed and cried. Sweet story, sweet Baby Girl, and wonderful photos! So much fun to look back on this big-moment life event already, and it will be even more so as time passes.
    --Love and hugs, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious birth story! William is so beautiful!

    Emily Upchurch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! How are you walking AND wearing jeans that fast!? I lived in PJs for weeks after I had my son!

    I love your story, though. It reminded me of mine and that sweet feeling of holding your baby boy for the first time :)

    He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so beautiful! Mila was exactly 9 lbs 10 oz at her 1-month check-up, and I remember saying to Andy - "can you believe some babies are this big at birth!?" :) Great job mama, he is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so beautiful! Mila was exactly 9 lbs 10 oz at her 1-month check-up, and I remember saying to Andy - "can you believe some babies are this big at birth!?" :) Great job mama, he is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you guys and I am jut dying to meet that big, handsome man in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story. 18 hours of labor - yikes! And I can't believe how big he was! Greta measured 22 1/4 inches and 10 lb at her 2 month checkup. I can't imagine giving birth to her at that size. And looking through your pictures - did they let you walk out of the hospital? They made me ride the METH GTOWN wheelchair out the door. (Pat had to get a picture of the bank of the wheelchair too that said METH GTOWN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha.. yeah you are the second person who has told me their child was William's size at the 2 month checkup! lol. We are anticipating him going out for some baby football league next month ;-p. They did let me walk out of the hospital. In fact, they pretty much kicked me out without a handshake or a care as the L&D unit was so completely full that weekend. Apparently 9 mos prior to William's due date, there was a large group of soldiers that returned from a deployment. 9 mos later...Baby boom! That is hilarious about your wheelchair and I must see that picture. Only in Memphis.

      Delete