Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fathers Day Week

There was MUCH to celebrate this past Father's Day week as William turned 6 weeks old.  This age definitely marked a transition in his life.  He started following me with his eyes and even had his first WHOLE face smile on June 15.  (I bawled).

He took his first bottle.  Well... 1 oz of it.  He's not too sure about that yet.  We're still workin on it!

He stopped napping downstairs in his rock n play sleeper as he was too interested in the pattern of light peeking through window blinds, among other very exciting things, keeping him from sleep.

He had been sleeping 5 hour stretches at night since 4 weeks (apparently that's what happens when you give birth to a toddler), but at 6 wks he started with a six hour followed by a four hour stretch.  Rather than feeding him after this six hour stretch, I started putting his pacifier back in to see what he would do.  He slept!  We are now going on three consecutive nights in which this child has gone down around 8, gets topped off with a last feeding around 9, and has woken up from 6:45-7am.  It actually makes me a little sad that he is growing so fast.  But don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the extra sleep.  Feels like coming out of a fog or a very dark cave...

With this 6 week benchmark also came its challenges as William went through a growth spurt that seemed like it would never end.  Add in with that much daytime fussiness, the 45-minute intruder and overall baby irritability.  I guess I would be irritated, too, if I was growing as fast as he is!  I have held onto Romans 12:11-13 during the difficult times:

Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.  Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

In the midst of this week's challenges, I was somehow able to bake a couple of things.  I've cut out dairy so I wasn't able to eat (much) of Matthew's Father's Day cake.  So I have been experimenting with candied things like pecans and pretzels.  Gotta satisfy that sweet tooth somehow!

Among other changes during this time, Matthew and I bought our first house!  The Army is stationing us at Ft. Campbell in Clarksville, TN.  We should move around July 13.


Matthew loves root beer and really loves when I make dessert, so it made sense to combine the two and make a root beer float cake for father's day

I <3 rainbow sprinkles.



Got recipe from this cookbook

William listening to his jams while mommy makes up some more goodies in the kitchen

Smiling at me

His pensive face

Getting sleepy...

"Put me to bed mama!"  We saw a lot of this adorable-but-trying face during this week's transition!

I just love this little guy

He LOVES his paci.  It really helps him drift off to sleep!

Love those baby feet!


Mommy's candied pretzel sticks that sort of overflowed into the oven and made a mess....


Best job.  Ever.

Portion of the overflow caught on a catch-all pan

Daddy giving William his first bottle after his nap

Hanging out in the swing before church

Wearing daddy's old baby romper and shoes to church for Father's Day


Our first house! We've got a few projects in mind and are excited to get started.

We love Colorado but really miss the South's big, beautiful trees!

Back deck and neighbor


Sunroom = pottery/art space and play area for William

Big windows in all the bedrooms.  We love all the natural light.

Front yard

7 comments:

  1. oh mal! I am so excited for you guys and all the new things happening! YAY! I will be in prayer for all the transitions, for God to comfort you with His word and with a new community, and for sweet William. Thanks for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your prayers courtenay! we need it!!

      Delete
  2. Love the house!!! William is sooo sweet! You're a good Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how creatively and lovingly you celebrate occasions. Matthew and William are lucky fellows! Excited about your first house and praying it will be as special to you in its own way as the N. Nevada farmhouse has been!
    --Love, Your Totally Biased Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was the cake? I have bookmarked that recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. And congratulations on the house! It looks wonderful. We'll have to come visit once you get settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heidi! Cake was quite yummy and surprisingly moist for Colorado standards. The icing was my favorite, though!

      Delete