Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Colorado Adventures with the Hillises

Matthew's mom, dad and sister, Becky, flew into Colorado with us after our Christmas stay in Georgia.  We had a really great time exploring this beautiful state.  Our activities included lots of day hikes and exploring around Colorado Springs and up towards Denver, riding the Cog train up Pike's Peak, seeing Manitou Springs and Garden of the Gods, Mrs. Carla and I watching the Dawgs lose the bowl game while the boys and Becky hiked a good part of Pike's Peak, and dining at some local restaurants. 

Matthew's parents, Carla and Kelly, on our Cog Train ride up Pike's Peak

View from the train, about 12,000 ft

Matthew's sweet parents

Hubby and me outside the train about to play in the snow

Next adventure - hiking near Denver at a state park

My sis-n-law, Becky, and me before the journey begins!

Walking on ice is a challenge especially without the right footwear.  Becky was doing an impressive job of balancing considering her leather boots!  Better than her brother in his army boots anyway.  She got more of the coordination in the fam.

The beautiful scenery

Coming up on a herd of deer



The Hillis crew

It was so windy that you could lean into it and still be standing.  Or if you didn't lean into it, you might get blown over!


Man shot

Father and son shot.  There are many pictures of Matthew hiking with his dad from when he was a kid until now.  Sweet memories for him.

Adventure #3 - hiking at Cheyenne Mountain park in Colorado Springs

Becky playing in the snow

The beautiful scenery as we got closer to the top.  It got pretty cold in the shadows.

Matthew's dad on the ledge

Happy family

Matthew, me and Becky after surviving the journey to the lookout

My face was cold.

Becky using her slippery shoes to her advantage

Neat pinecone in the snow

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I think if I were in them I would be cowering into a frozen ball! It looks crazy cold!

    P.S. Has your hair gotten more curly with the pregnancy? It looks super curly in the red train picture with Matthew. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you would be surprised at how it feels without that Memphis humidity! The curlier hair is from us all sharing one shower and me taking showers at night and finding ways to keep my hair tame during the next day -lol. Slept in some sock roller for my Taylor Swift do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think it is beautiful down there! You should come up to RMNP!

    ReplyDelete