Sunday, January 22, 2012

Recent Artworks

Here is an update of the most recent artworks created at the Hillis household.  Some were commissioned Christmas gifts while others are waiting to be given as gifts or posted to my Etsy page.

The drawing of my niece is not part of Pottery for the Parentless, per se, but was a Christmas gift for my brother and sis in law.  The goal is to get them drawings of their other two children before my own little one arrives in April!  It's fun to work on something so precise and technical to mix things up after playing in the dirt on my potter's wheel.  I was able to take some really great classes here in Colorado Springs at the Bemis School of Art including colored pencil drawing.  My teacher, Gayle Higgins, taught me a lot about sequencing of colors and, basically, how to be more precise and careful about my work.  At first I didn't think there would be much of a difference in, say, keeping your pencil sharpened at all times.  But I quickly learned that there are big differences, and I'm grateful for her instruction.

Colored pencil drawing of my niece, Lily Kate Mills

Celadon green and periwinkle blue dinnerware set (plates, chip & dip, cups)

Detail

White and teal dinnerware set, dots and circles design

Place setting with his and her mugs

Detail

Wax tart holder


Pair of mugs with funky line designs

Set of cups with blossom drawings

Gallon pitcher with blossoms (didn't show up as well on the blue)

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the finished work of Lilly! Absolutely beautiful! Seriously. Beautiful!

    Also, I forgot to tell you how you were right in that I LOVE the white and teal glaze. You know your girl.

    Lastly, I love that blue glaze on the pitcher. It's beautiful!

    Lastly, lastly... I love YOU! ;)

    ReplyDelete