Friday, September 7, 2012

Love from Japan

When I was 16 years old, I got the awesome opportunity, along with three other Bibb County students, to travel to Japan.  The four of us had met once before the excursion.  Before we knew it, we were on a plane together without our parents headed to another country.  Wild, huh?

We spent about two weeks there going from Kyoto to Tokyo to Kurobe and other places in between.  It was a scholarship program offered by the YKK zipper company to establish good relations between Kurobe (in Japan) and Macon (where I grew up in Georgia).  Kurobe and Macon are "sister cities" -  they share the Yoshino cherry tree and each have a yearly festival to celebrate these beautiful trees.  So every other year, Japanese students get sent to the US, and US to Japan on alternating years... it went on this way until 9/11, anyway.  Last I heard, the scholarship program is no longer available.

When I was there, I learned so much about their wonderful culture and people.  We visited many historical places, took bike rides to the shore of the Pacific ocean, ate lots and lots of sushi (thus my love for sushi began...), set off fireworks at a party with Mai's friends, sang Karaoke at a Japanese karaoke bar (that was interesting!), met the mayor and other officials, visited Mai's school, learned about Japanese calligraphy among other art forms, etc. etc.  My favorite part, though, was meeting and getting to know and love my host family in Kurobe - the Ikematsus.

Though we only spent a small amount of time together, we grew close and I still consider them my Japanese family.  They have always been so sweet to to send updates via New Year's Day cards or Birthday cards, and they've sent gifts to celebrate our wedding and now our first child.  I am forever grateful for this family and what they mean to me!

William squeezed into his Japanese onesie after I told him, "Now William, Japanese babies are a little less 'filled out' than you, my dear...."

Map of Japan showing me where each of them are now living and how close they were to epicenter of tsunami - pictures of the family (Koji and Takami are about to celebrate 30 years of marriage!) - clothes - DVD of Takami playing Japanese drum - cards and Disney light show toy

William says, "I love you, Ikematsus!"

Sorry for the spit up... I can't keep clothes clean on him for two seconds! :)

1 comment:

  1. Precious photos--and extra-special memories! Hope that one day you and Matthew and perhaps some of us can host the Ikematsu family or Mai, etc., to reciprocate their kindness and allow them to enjoy the USA.

    ReplyDelete